A Finished Memory Quilt (I love this one!)

Yay!  Four days ago I was frustrated as can be with this one, but I’m happy to report that the quilt is finished and AWESOME!  The too short backing problem was easily solved by adding scraps to the ends which wound up looking just fine:

photo (91)I would not have liked this one if I hadn’t added the contrasting strips throughout.  It could have used a few more slashes, but I was frustrated at the time!

After I basted the quilt, I added a little embroidered note on the back:

photo (96)

This was before I clipped all the little strings.  I even remembered to pull the front of the quilt away so that the writing didn’t come through (backwards) on the front of the quilt.

 

 

Next came the quilting.  I knew that all the colored parts would be quilted and the signature blocks left alone.  I also knew that I needed a design that would not call attention to the fact that the back was probably not exactly lined up with the front (though it turned out to be pretty darn close!).  I kept shying away from the idea of a meandering stitch because I’m just not very good at it, but after a day of procrastinating, I decided to just go for it.  I am SO VERY glad I did.  It seems I have finally gotten the hang of it!

On top of that, I debated for a while over what thread color to use and eventually decided to use a turquoise in the bobbin for the back (which I was already using for the (No) Golden Shadows quilt) and something new for the front.  Since I really couldn’t find the “right” color, I went with a variegated spool- shades of purple, blue and fuchsia.  It is a Sulky brand 40wt. viscose and rayon blend and it is gorgeous!  It is silky and shiny and the color changes are perfect for this quilt.  I may be upgrading my quilting thread from here on out!

The quilting did bring out one little oops: a popped seam that couldn’t be fixed with a blind stitch (it had popped because there wasn’t enough of a seam allowance).  So a few little zigzags in the corner.  It isn’t noticeable unless you are looking for it. photo (94)

And then finally, the binding.  I knew that this one would be machine stitched (I am so DONE with hand stitching binding) and I really didn’t want to buy more fabric.  The perfect purple (and just enough of it) presented itself from my stash and the only problem became finding a thread to blend with it since I knew my machine stitching was sure to have a whole bunch of stitches in the binding itself (and it certainly does!).

photo (93) So through the thunderstorm I trekked to Joann’s with purple fabric in hand to match up thread colors.  Coats and Clark number 3660 was the winner and it blends perfectly!  The purple is less blue and more purple-y than the photo shows, for those of you matching up your thread colors at home!

I also tried out my new binding clips.  I used them to do both the front and the back of the binding- they were great!

And the finished beauty:

My husband was kind enough to do quilt holding duties.  He is about 5’8, so I’m guessing the quilt is a touch over 5 feet.  And I promise that the greenish-blue block at the bottom is straight, I’m just a really lousy photographer!  Thanks again to Kaye Prince of Miss Print for the fabulous Euclid quilt tutorial.

Now back to (No) Golden Shadows!

-Allison

 

Who Lives in a Pineapple Under the Sea…

photo-28I had started playing around with my SpongeBob fabric when I decided I needed to make some half square triangles laid out like flying geese.  Really what I liked about the SpongeBob fabric was the colors- shades of blue with orange, yellow and salmon pink accents- mostly from SpongeBob and Patrick, but also from some random circles.  I picked some fabrics out of my stash that matched those coordinating colors and went to work on the HSTs.  As they all came together, it became clear that the blue of the SpongeBob fabric was the background and the accent colors were the stars of the show.

photo-23image-16

 

 

I found a light blue fabric that complemented the blues for the border, and then laid it out on the floor to be basted.

 

 

image-15image-14

 

image-13As you can see from the picture, my backing would have required a bunch of cutting and piecing to make it fit.  So, I decided to add a little design from some scraps to it.  Funny how the same fabric looks so much brighter in the photo above and washed out in the one on the right!

 

 

 

 

Once that problem was solved, it was time to do the quilting.  I first outlined the colored triangles, and then realized that they would “pop” a little more if the blue background was more heavily quilted.  I wanted to stick with the nautical theme and quilt bubbles on the blue.  I changed out the foot on my sewing machine to a quilting foot and then discovered that circles are REALLY haimage-10rd. I should have reimage-8membered from the ugly Christmas quilt!  And those had been done with traced lines!  After doing the first row, I realized that this was now becoming another practice quilt.  So, I thought I’d try a whole bunch of quilting patterns: a new one for each row.  Surprisingly enough, it was the stippling that was the easiest.  Funny, since thatimage-12
was the one I was really afraid to try.  Of all the others, only the curved back and forth lines came out even half-way decent!

After finishing up the quilting, I wanted to try the machine binding again.  Quick and easy!  I ignored my own advice to use a larger binding and went with what was already cut and sewn- the plaid I loved from my hearts quilt.  The colors were just right and- it was already rolled up and ready to go!  If I were making this as a gift, there were a few places I would take out and redo, but overall, the few mistakes are an easy trade off for the ease of the machine binding!

image-9image-11Totally bound in less than two hours! And now ready to be donated somewhere!

 

 

 

 

 

 

-Allison