Finished! The Up From Here baby quilt is complete. Some things I might do differently next time, but overall, quite happy with how this one came out. Definitely worthy of being given as a baby gift. And, other than finishing up the one that was already started, I don’t think I’ll ever be hand stitching binding again. Thank you to the folks at Cluck, Cluck Sew!
Four other projects under foot at the moment:
- The mini Fair Isle quilt needs to have the binding finished.
- The (No) Golden Shadows quilt needs to be basted, quilted and bound.
- The Modern Block of the Month needs to have the blocks pieced together (w or w/o sashing???), and then basted, quilted and bound.
- A memory quilt for my son’s best friend who is moving in June.
And of course, I’ve already got some other things picked out!
After completing the Modern Block of the Month, I moved on to Sew Mama Sews’ “All-New Modern Block of the Month”. However, the second series had only 6 jumbo blocks and two of them involved circles, which SO wasn’t happening. I decided that I liked the simplest, Up From Here, block the best and started with that one. I pulled out some fat quarters I had put together, half black on white patterns and half florals on white. The first block came together so quickly and beautifully that I decided to make three more and put them together to make a 48 x 48 baby quilt.
Again, this was fun and easy to do and the cutting, piecing and trimming the blocks felt rather effortless. I was so excited about this quilt. In one week, all four blocks were done.
And then today I sewed them together. Of course, they don’t line up at all. Honestly, I kind of expected that.
Even worse though, the four different black and white prints are way too overwhelming. It would have looked gorgeous if I did the whole thing in just one of those black and whites.
I will press on and finish it up, but definitely demoralizing, especially since I’m still finishing up the binding of the Fair Isle Mini I loved but screwed up. Now I have to decide whether to piece together a fun back for it, or just call it a day and back it in a solid color.
The good news for today: Diego the dog was adopted last night, so after I vacuum the floors, I can then start to baste some things!
Last month, my daughter’s former cheer coach gave birth to her first child. We’ve always made blankets for the new babies at the gym, and even though we haven’t seen them for a while, we knew that this little guy needed one too.
Lately, my daughter has been in love with Eeyore (yes, she is twelve years old), and I have been holding onto a Winnie the Pooh panel, which I knew would make a super baby blanket. The time was right to pull it out.
Around each part of the panel were some drawn stitches, and at each corner, a drawn, sewn on button. We backed the panel with a plain piece of muslin and then stitched over all the hand drawn lines.
Next we found an almost perfectly matched piece of sky blue and white checked flannel.
We taped it to the floor to baste it, did some quick stitching to hold it together, and then made a scrappy binding out of actual scraps of matching fabric.
The binding was sewn down by hand and the baby blanket was shipped up to Connecticut in less than two weeks! Definitely a new record for me, though I realize it is totally cheating to use an entire panel and nothing else as the quilt top!
Either way, DONE!