BOM Block 8

A quick post just to show that I’m back on the regular schedule.  Block 8 was a toughie because I refuse to sew partial seems (because I don’t know how and I am too lazy to learn)!  So, I had to modify the instructions and cut everything into smaller pieces.  While far from perfect, it came out much better than the other block I had to modify.

First, I sketched it out, breaking the block into four sections. image (26)

Then, I sewed up each part.  I cut all the pieces larger than required and ironed and trimmed between each set of piecing.


Finally, I sewed the four parts together.  They lined up fairly nicely, though I definitely see places that could be improved.  image (32)

And the finished block:

image (33)

Fabric for block 9 has already been cut!



My sewing has been characterized by a complete lack of discipline in every respect.  In an effort to improve, I have decided that I need a task master!  And so I am trying something new: Block of the Month.  Of course, there are pros and cons to this endeavor…

The Pros:

  1. A set timeline: though I’m going to speed it up and attempt to do it at a Block a Week!
  2. Someone else calling the shots
  3. Some of the blocks will force me out of my comfort zone (if I even have one)
  4. Planning is already done- none of my usual running out of fabric, too many or few blocks, layouts that won’t work, etc.
  5. Someone has already figured out the cutting measurements- one of my weakest points

The Cons: 

  1. I hate sampler quilts
  2. Some of the blocks are ugly
  3. Some of the blocks will force me out of my comfort zone (okay, so this one cuts both ways)
  4. No creativity (though I did get to pick out the fabrics- ALL from my stash)


Since the pros seemed to outweigh the cons, the next step was to find the right Block of the Month quilt.  After looking at several, I settled on Sew,Mama,Sew! Modern Block of the Month from 2011-12 with Alyssa Haight Carlton.  I liked the simplicity of many of the blocks, which would really allow force me to focus on technique, since mistakes are hard to hide in a simple block.

Half-way through the first block, I’m really enjoying her crystal clear instructions, digital pictures and actual pictures.  Each block is also made in a second colorway, and digital pictures are given of an entire quilt of that block in all different layouts.  Can’t wait to see how this turns out!

Here’s a pic of block #1, ready to be assembled:photo-55



New Year, New Quilt

This will be the first quilt for this year, hopefully finished in time for my stepmother’s birthday in February.  My dad’s living room is very modern- blacks and greys with pops of bright colors, so I designed a quilt to go with it.


I started with a (half) jelly roll of colored, mottled strips, and took out a grey with irregular white spots in lines that I had been hoarding from Joann’s.  I was very careful to cut my grey into strips going WITH the lines so I wouldn’t have a random polka dot pattern.  After I took out the brown, I was left with 18 strips- two each of orange, red, pink, purple, blue, navy and three shades of green.  I sewed a two inch golden yellow square onto the end of each strip of color and then didn’t know what I wanted to do next.

So, for the first time ever, I got out some graph paper and my daughter’s colored pencils and started to draw.  So much fun!  This is what I came up with:

quiltdad5  Amazing to plan a quilt out beforehand- I’ve actually never done that before, but rather have always just let it take shape as I went.  For this one, I couldn’t decide what to do with the part that I had left white.  I went to the fabric store to see what my options were.  I didn’t find anything that wowed me.  I was maybe hoping for a great tone on tone white or a very light grey on white.  But, not finding anything perfect, I decided to just get some Kona White. And now I don’t think I will ever skimp on my solids again.  That Kona just feels magnificent!

So, time to start cutting, sewing and pressing:





Linking up with Freshly Pieced WIP Wednesday