So a new quilt top is finished, and I have to say I’m feeling “meh” about it. No major mistakes (unless you count two of the same fabric next to each other in a few places, but I don’t), no ugly colors, nice pattern, nothing to write (or blog) about. And maybe that’s the problem: this one just didn’t have anything that stood out in any way.
The pattern is the Star Bright Quilt by Deborah Jacobs for the Moda Bakeshop. It works with a jelly roll and a basic log cabin block and I only made minor variations: I used her second layout suggestion instead of the featured one. My jelly roll did not have “light fabrics” so I mixed all my fabrics together and thus do not have the light center star. Perhaps it was that center star that made me like the pattern in the first place.
And finally, to give it a little more dimension, instead of using a single solid or low volume background color, I used a variety of off -whites, ranging from grey to beige.
I’ve started working on some ideas for the back, and will use some left over jelly roll strips and some of the background “whites” for the binding. This one might wind up getting an attempt at some interesting quilting, because really I’m not sure what else to do with it!
Pictures of the completed top in the next post!
The quilting on the (No) Golden Shadows quilt is finally done… and I love how it came out! The rust red (Coat’s & Clark’s Paprika) looks perfect on top of the turquoise and I’m really starting to get the hang of the quilting foot on my machine.
Which isn’t to say that the ovals are perfect- far from it! In fact, even though I was simply tracing the ovals from the backing of the quilt (which I lined up almost perfectly- YAY!), my stitching still looks hand done. Actually, I should specify: hand done by me. Some people can make perfect stitches by hand. I can’t make even stitches by hand or machine, so when I say “by hand”, I mean more like the hand of a 5 year old. I rather like it that way.
And now the binding dilemma. What do I bind this with? I know it will be machine stitched using my new binding clips. I was thinking of using the leftover material from the back for a binding, but I’m afraid the ovals will look all wonky. There is no material left over from the front. I’m thinking maybe a solid rust color, which will necessitate a trip to the fabric store. Should I pretend to be disappointed about that?
In other news, Prowler the kitty got adopted and it was indeed hard to give him up. Even still, we will certainly be fostering more cats in the future. I bought a new set of pre-cuts: 2.5 inch mini charms. I got 11 packs of Moda’s Tucker Prairie by OneCanoeTwo. I’m pretty sure that these are going to become a Plus quilt. And finally, I’m contemplating joining a quilt guild here in South Florida. Does anyone my age (41) participate? Thoughts?
I have been wanting to make a quilt for my aunt and uncle’s den. It’s the comfiest place in the world and they let my kids swing from the rafters (well, not literally, but only because there are no rafters). The colors are beige and a pretty golden brown color.
I had some squares left over from a Moda layer cake that I won several years ago in a design contest. I had never used them because they were faintly Christmas-y, but since my aunt is Catholic, I thought they would be a good fit. Browns, reds, minty green and pale blue florals with white and cream. For blenders, I used a white and beige tiny heart pattern and a brown and white floral.
I had been wanting to try a disappearing nine patch pattern and this seemed like a perfect way to show off these squares. Came together quickly and beautifully! The Moda fabrics are so nice to sew with- they feel gorgeous. You can really tell the difference between that and the chain fabric store fabrics.
For the back, I decided I would also do a disappearing nine patch, but with less variety in the fabrics. At the fabric store, I found that little heart print in two other color ways: a pale grey and taupe and a beige and burgundy. I had a little left over of the brown and white floral, two duplicate squares from the front, and in my stash found an almost solid greenish-gold color. After cutting it all up, I’m short about ten squares. None of my browns seem just right, so back to the fabric store to see if there is any more of that heart print…