More Halloween Blocks

So I made the little bat from Ellis & Higgs Creepy Critters Blocks, and he is awfully cute!bat

 

And since I was doing so well, I decided to go for the spider.  Probably should have quit while I was ahead.  Spiders are hard!  Rather than use the instructions on the pattern, which called for squares with diagonal stripes, I decided to make everything with half square triangles.  I was afraid that my diagonal stripes wouldn’t line up.  Well, as it turns out, neither did my HSTs and it was probably about ten times more sewing, cutting and ironing!  Oh well!  Cute in the end, but far from perfect.

 

At first everything lines up nicely, but once it is sewn together…not so much!

And here she is, all done:

spiderWhen I laid out the four blocks, I realized that the bat block was much shorter than the others, so I made a pair of creepy eyes to add to it:

eyesThese came from a tutorial from Happy Sew Lucky, called the Eyeballs Quilt Block Tutorial.  I haven’t decided if these will get sashing, or how they will be layed out yet.  But the goal is to get it done by Halloween, which gives me two more days!

 

 

-Allison

Advertisements

Heart Quilt

With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, I thought it was time to start on my heart quilt.  I’d been collecting some romantic looking fabrics and decided to piece them into a patchwork heart.

quiltheart1

I cut a whole bunch of 4 inch squares and then got to work on the 12 HSTs I needed.  This time, I oversized them by a full inch, and boy did it make a difference!  For the first time ever, they seem to be cut quite accurately.  Guess I really need that much wiggle room.

quiltheart3 quiltheart4

And, silly me, I used a directional print for the “background” fabric, which meant I had to be extra careful to get all the HSTs going in the right direction.  One mistake- can you spot it?- that I caught before I started sewing my blocks together, so I was able to make a replacement.

quiltheart2

 

After the heart is finished (I’m about half way through sewing the squares into rows), I will put on the border of that coral directional print, and then put this one away for a few days to start on a special project for a friend…

Allison

linked up with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday!

 

Red, White and Blue Progress

Progress has been made on the Red, White and Blue / Patriotic quilt from those wonderful squares I won from the Online Fabric Store!

quiltpatriotic2 I finally decided on a pattern and started stitching!

The hardest part was making the tiny half square triangles when there isn’t enough fabric to trim to size. Any tips would be appreciated!

quiltpatriotic5      quiltpatriotic3

I had enough squares to make four blocks, about 18 inches each.  Then I discovered that I didn’t have enough of any one fabric to continue the pattern.  (You may have noticed that I am not the best planner!) So, time to raid the stash!  I found some red with large white polka-dots and some white on white stars- perfect! I used the squares for the insides and then bordered them with the white fabric.

quiltpatriotic7

 

Four more coordinating blocks!

quiltpatriotic4            quiltpatriotic10

That gave me eight blocks- which I then realized was a really odd size for a quilt, no matter how you put them together.  So, one more block would give me nine, which would work out a lot better, but of course I was out of white fabric!  So out came the red for the center block.

quiltpatriotic8

I’m thinking that it’s going to need some special stitching in the center!

quiltpatriotic9Allison