In between loads of laundry this week (three kids home from sleep-away camp!), I managed to add the sashing to the Modern Block of the Month Quilt. It is now a finished quilt top- YAY!!!! I’m still in love with the Kona silver color. And the Tula Pink Freefall in battleship grey really is the perfect backing. But watch out for shrinkage (at least I hope that is what the problem is). The two yards I ordered wound up being only 67 inches after washing. I hadn’t thought to measure it before hand. Luckily, it was still more than enough, since this is a smaller quilt.
I’m about half way through basting the quilt, and then I have to figure out how to quilt it. That part always makes me nervous!
My block of the week challenge is complete- way ahead of schedule I might add! My only problem is that I can’t lay out the blocks and sashing to piece because Diego the dog is still in residence. He would find that WAY too much fun, and get dog hair all over everything. So for now, those blocks will sit in a pile, along with the already pieced (No) Golden Shadows quilt top, which is waiting to be basted for the same reason.
So, here are blocks 9-12:
Block 9 was easy until I went to square it up at the end and realized that one corner was half an inch short. Rather than undoing the stitching, I just modified the block and added an extra strip:
Here’s the finished look:
And finally, Block 12:
I absolutely loved this process and will definitely be looking for more block of the month challenges- or really, anything with real instructions. Who knew I would actually enjoy following patterns? Opening up a world of possibilities…
A quick post just to show that I’m back on the regular schedule. Block 8 was a toughie because I refuse to sew partial seems (because I don’t know how and I am too lazy to learn)! So, I had to modify the instructions and cut everything into smaller pieces. While far from perfect, it came out much better than the other block I had to modify.
First, I sketched it out, breaking the block into four sections.
Then, I sewed up each part. I cut all the pieces larger than required and ironed and trimmed between each set of piecing.
Finally, I sewed the four parts together. They lined up fairly nicely, though I definitely see places that could be improved.
And the finished block:
Fabric for block 9 has already been cut!
My sewing has been characterized by a complete lack of discipline in every respect. In an effort to improve, I have decided that I need a task master! And so I am trying something new: Block of the Month. Of course, there are pros and cons to this endeavor…
- A set timeline: though I’m going to speed it up and attempt to do it at a Block a Week!
- Someone else calling the shots
- Some of the blocks will force me out of my comfort zone (if I even have one)
- Planning is already done- none of my usual running out of fabric, too many or few blocks, layouts that won’t work, etc.
- Someone has already figured out the cutting measurements- one of my weakest points
- I hate sampler quilts
- Some of the blocks are ugly
- Some of the blocks will force me out of my comfort zone (okay, so this one cuts both ways)
- No creativity (though I did get to pick out the fabrics- ALL from my stash)
Since the pros seemed to outweigh the cons, the next step was to find the right Block of the Month quilt. After looking at several, I settled on Sew,Mama,Sew! Modern Block of the Month from 2011-12 with Alyssa Haight Carlton. I liked the simplicity of many of the blocks, which would really
allow force me to focus on technique, since mistakes are hard to hide in a simple block.
Half-way through the first block, I’m really enjoying her crystal clear instructions, digital pictures and actual pictures. Each block is also made in a second colorway, and digital pictures are given of an entire quilt of that block in all different layouts. Can’t wait to see how this turns out!
Here’s a pic of block #1, ready to be assembled: