I’ve mentioned this quilt before, but was waiting till I finished to show off my best quilt yet:
The Wormhole Quilt
David wanted black, to match his personality, but just to piss him off, I added lots of seriously bright tropical batiks! Turns out he really liked it (well, at least he says he does) and also really liked a “mistake”. I used two different blacks and they are mixed throughout the quilt, but if you are looking for it, you can tell. He loved the extra dimension that it added to it and said the quilt was like looking through a wormhole, and so it was named!
For the back, I used more black and batiks in the Simply Woven pattern, which I didn’t find simple at all! On the upside, because it is so busy, it is VERY forgiving, of both seams that don’t come close to lining up and quilting that was designed to go with the front, but not so much with the back.
Said quilting is just a straight line a quarter inch in from every seam on both sides. Gives it a very professional look when done well, but here it serves to point out every place that my seams didn’t line up. As I mentioned in the last post, lesson learned: need to think about what the quilting will point out in the quilt. It might be time for me to invest in a free motion presser foot so that I no longer have to stick to straight lines!
Binding was done with some more bright batiks.
And one more lesson learned: black is a lint magnet!!!! Have fun Lukin!